WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!! That is really the best way to describe this campground. I can see why it is near impossible to get a reservation here!!!! We stayed at Porteau Cove Provincial Park for the first time in mid August 2017. Somehow my sister managed to get a double ocean front site and she invited us to share it with her. All I can say is LUCKY US. This is, without a doubt, the most amazing campground.
We were booked into double site 41 & 42. This is a large site and offers power. We were able to position our trailers so that we both had views, access to power and privacy from the road. This end of the street is near the walk-in sites and the park so the location was perfect. The ocean front sites are just steps from the water and offer incredible views. I really cannot say enough about the views and my pictures really capture it best.
The campground is not large and is divided into 3 areas. The first camping loop has ocean front sites and center park campgrounds. It is much busier in this area and if you are camping with a few families I can see the benefit of wanting to be here. There is also a small cabin you can rent through Porteau Cove Olympic Legacy Cabins. These cabins are not booked through discover camping but the photo has the contact info. They are located in the first loop and it is close to the boat launch and tie ups.
The second area is east of the entrance along the park road. this is the area we stayed in. The sites here are spread out and all have ocean views. Some of these sites are small so the larger RV’s would have a difficult time.
The third area is the park and walk in tent sites. If we tented this would be a great place to stay. It was away from traffic, close to the beach, offers a covered picnic areas and has power for your use. The tent sites were graveled, level and nicely spaced but offer limited privacy. They are also close to the park, grass area and walking trails. This is where we went to play boccie and take evening walks.
- Any ocean front site is great as long as it fits your Rv
- Sites 41/42 is really the best double site
- All ocean
- The views and access to the ocean
- Level, well maintained sites
- Electrical hook ups
- Sani dump on site
- Cabin rental option
- Boat launch and mooring pins
- Park area on site for everyone’s use
- Beautiful walking area on site
- Walk in campsites
- Close to excellent hiking and biking trails but you would need to drive because it is across the highway.
- Very difficult to get a reservation.
- Some sites are very narrow giving very limited privacy.
- A vehicle is needed to access the nearby hikes and other activities.